Our Criminal Firm Policies
Bolton Hatcher Dance has established the following policies to benefit our clients and demonstrate our commitment to you. We feel strongly that these policies truly set us apart from other criminal firms in B.C.
1. Communication With Clients
As criminal defence lawyers, we know that if you’re being investigated or are charged with a criminal offence, you’ll need us at a moment’s notice. Our criminal firm’s promise to you is easy and prompt communication.
- We’re always available to you: 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to answer your calls—even in the middle of the night. If you can’t reach one of us right away, leave a message to ensure that we get back to you as soon as possible.
- We work directly with our clients. You will not get passed off to an assistant or student.
- During office hours our seasoned, first-rate legal assistant will answer your call and assist you with any questions as best as she can.
- Your calls are important to us. If your criminal defence lawyer is in the office, we’ll always take your call unless we are with another client or on the phone.
- When your lawyer is out of the office or in court, we check our email and telephone messages frequently.
It is our policy to update you with any developments in your case as soon as they happen. We will often need to discuss important decisions with you. Therefore, we ask that you provide our criminal firm with your most current contact information so that we can reach you right away.
2. Personal Attention and Understanding
Not only will Bolton Hatcher Dance’s team give you the personal attention that you deserve, our criminal defence lawyers will provide compassion and exercise discretion, without any judgment. In many criminal cases such as sexual assault, DUI and fraud, there is a huge stigma attached (along with media attention). We’ll expertly guide you through these proceedings, supporting you and your family throughout.
3. Confidentiality and Solicitor-Client Privilege
As criminal defence lawyers, we’re bound by legal ethics and solicitor-client privilege. We won’t discuss your case with anyone, unless and until you instruct us to do so. Your privacy is closely guarded.
5. Scheduling of Client Matters
Unlike other Vancouver criminal defence lawyers, it’s our policy never to double book trial matters. You deserve our undivided attention on the day of your trial, and you will get it.
6. Full Consultation About How to Proceed
Every case and client is unique. In the course of a case, there will be important questions to ask and decisions to make, for example:
- Do I have a defence that could succeed?
- Should I fight this case at trial?
- Should I plead guilty?
- What punishment will a Judge likely impose?
- Will I go to jail?
It is our criminal firm’s policy to advise on the best course of action, but never to force you into any decision in your case, but rather to sit down with you in a calm environment to discuss ALL your options. Our Vancouver criminal defence lawyers will provide experienced and conscientious advice on how best to proceed, while listening carefully and respectfully to your concerns.
Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions about our criminal firm policies or to learn more about how we may be able to help you.